Today I'm glad to announce that I've launched RaspCTL DynamicDNS Service!!!!
This project wants you to be able to share your projects with the Internet more easily. There are dozens or hundreds of DynamicDNS Services out there, but this is focused in the Raspberry Pi community. I really easy to setup, install/configure in your Raspberry Pi and in a few minutes you can have your own domain up and running. 100% newbies proof!
For the ones who don't know what a DynamicDNS service is, I'll refer to the definition of the wikipedia:
Dynamic DNS or DDNS is a method of updating, in real time, a Domain Name System (DNS) to point to a changing IP address on the Internet. This is used to provide a persistent domain name for a resource that may change location on the network.
If this definition is not clear enough using RaspCTL DynamicDNS Service you will get:
- A domain name such as: yourname.raspctl.com
- This domain name will be always be pointing to your public IP address
- If you reboot the router and you get a new IP, this change will be updated very quickly
- You don't need to change your IP address (that, eventually, will change) with your friends, and you can use a domain instead
- And everything is for free (as in beer)
In this page you will find documentation, further information about what DNS is, how DynamicDNS works, what you have to install, and everything!
I hope you like the project! :D If you run on problems or you don't understand something, don't hesitate and send me an email! (after reading all the documentation on the web, of course ;)
P.D: You would probably also like RaspCTL project.