WoW! Today I've just discovered this webpage: http://www.linuxatemyram.com and it's amazing! Please: READ IT! And not just the "don't worry your memory is OK" homepage explanation but the technical one http://www.linuxatemyram.com/play.html.
I was thinking about buying more memory for my laptop (now I have 2GiB+4GiB DDR3 memory). 4GiB memory costs about 24€ (30$) with free shipping in www.crucial.com (I have 2 slots of memory so 4+4GiB would be nice ).
Why buy more memory?
- Because it's used by the OS for caching data and not touching data from de HDD. More memory means less page faults and less latency.
- I don't usually stop my laptop, I just put it in sleep mode. Not because switching on the computer is slow - I have an SSD disk and the OS loads in 22~ seconds- but because I can have all the programs opened and because if I switch off the computer all the data cached by the OS is lost. It's very usually for me to have 10 or 20 days of uptime. Normally I just reboot the system if new kernel is available.
- I love my laptop and I want it least 3-4 years more. It's a Lenovo Thinkpad x201. I have a good HDD (Crucial SSD 128GiB) and I cannot upgrade anything else but the RAM. Having my laptop "full equip" means that I'll take the most of it during this 3-4 years.
- Now RAM memory is cheap!... but we'll see what's the price of the same memory in 3 years (it will be deprecated and expensive, I gess)
- I'll be able to use virtualizaed Windows with VirtualBox without problems (I will need it for the university, I gess). We all know that Microsoft Windows needs a lot of RAM.
- Saying that I have a laptop with 8 gigs of RAM memory sounds cool =)
If you know more pages like that, please leave a comment! Thanks!